Inquirer Southern Luzon / 03:26 PM March 12, 2021
LUCENA CITY –– Police accosted 140 persons in Cavite province in the last two days for violating health and safety protocols against the coronavirus disease (COVDI-19).
Colonel Marlon Santos, Cavite police chief, said in reports posted by the police public information office on its Facebook page that the violators were caught from March 10 to 11 for not wearing face masks or disregarding the curfew.ADVERTISEMENT
The violators paid fines or rendered community service in their respective municipalities, the police said.
The police intensified its operations against safety protocol violators amid concern among local officials led by Gov. Jonvic Remulla about the surge of virus cases in the province.
Remulla, on his Facebook page on Friday, said he was alarmed by the 196 new COVID-19 cases recorded in the province on Thursday, with four of the infected involving Capitol employees.
He said it should also be a cause for worry that the country is now again recording 3,000 COVID-19 cases a day.
As of March 10, Cavite has logged 21,431 cases since March last year, with 19,341 recoveries and 575 fatalities.
The province still has 1,515 active virus carriers as of March 10.
The Department of Health has started on March 10 the vaccination rollout for health workers in several hospitals in the province.